A Basque themed 5K open to runners and walkers alike! This is a fun event open to anyone who would like to participate. Registration includes a T-shirt, race bib, and a delicious lunch at the finish line! Scroll down for more information and the link to register!
When: Saturday, April 14th, 2018. Start lining up at 10:30, race starts at 11:00 am
Where: Start and Finish at Old Timer's Shelter in Ann Morrison Park
How much: $30 registration (T-shirt, race bib, and lunch at the finish line included!)
LAMBpage 2018 is a 5k run along the Boise Greenbelt. It starts and finishes at the Old Timer's Shelter in Ann Morrison Park.
Runners/walkers will head west along the south side (park side) of the Greenbelt, cross Railroad Trestle Bridge at end of Kathryn Albertson Park, loop east along north side of Greenbelt to Friendship Bridge at Julia Davis Park, loop west along the south side of the Greenbelt. Then it's a sprint (or a powerwalk) back towards Ann Morrison Park and you'll have the finish line in sight. Follow your nose to the smell of Basque food cooking back at the Old Timer's Shelter, and you're done!
Picnic at the Park
Speaking of picnic food, any Basque picnic worth its salt will have picnic games galore! Hang around after the race and you can participate in:
- Korrika (running): if you did the run/walk you already participated in this one
- Sokatira (tug-of-war): this is a real thing and they are super competitive in the homeland. Google it.
- Txinga Eramatea (weight carrying): a competition to see who can carry some heavy specialized weights the farthest. The 5k is your cardio, and txingas is your strength training!
- Lokotx Biltzea (cob gathering): kind of like running ladders for basketball, only for fun, not because coach told you to
- Horseshoes: okay this one might be American. We don't know, but we play it.
There are lots of other interesting farm games we won't be allowed to play in the park - you can learn about them here.
At the picnic there will be food and drinks available for purchase. Bring your family - everyone can play! Picnic will go until 3:00pm.